Monday, February 1, 2010

Quick Rant: Team TayTay

So a lot of people have been hating on Taylor Swift saying that she did not deserve the Grammy Award for 'Album of the Year' last night. Most of those who say this say so because they are Lady Gaga or Beyonce fans who think their "artists" should have won. I am, admittedly, a full Lady Gaga STAN (ONTD-speak for stalker+fan) and I would not say that I am the same for Taylor Swift. However, I do enjoy Taylor Swift's music. Is it country music that technically goes against everything I believe in musically? Yes. But Taylor Swift hits a spot in my heart that Gaga, Britney, and even Kylie can't hit. Her raw, emotional lyrics are something that I can relate to and if I can't, I know someone who could relate to them. In defense of her album, "Fearless," it is one of the most cohesive, sweet, well-written albums that I have listened to in a long time.

While I personally think that Lady Gaga's "The Fame" is one of the best CDs that I own, I do not think it is Grammy-worthy for "album of the year." Gaga's impact on American (and world) culture is something that extends far beyond the music from her debut album. The music is, obviously, a huge part of her success and current reign over the pop universe, but she is much more than that. She extracts everything that Americans wish they could be and projects it directly in front of our faces and has thereby been successful. I don't think, however, that the music on "The Fame" is why she is the phenomenon that she is. Her album is a great dance record and I love nearly every track on the disc, but the song selection, sequencing, and production all scream safety on the part of Gaga's record label. It seems like random tracks were thrown in so that they could appeal to the mass American market, which obviously worked. On this note, I would argue that "The Fame" was not able to express Gaga's true artistic, musical talent because record executives were taking such a big risk by releasing her album.

Now, I am in NO WAY saying that I dislike "The Fame" or think that Gaga lacks talent, because I do not think this. I saw "The Monster Ball" 5 times and consider myself a very big fan of Lady Gaga. When people say that Taylor Swift is lacking talent or that she is a "fake bitch," I think it is insulting to someone, let alone a nineteen year old girl, to say that they didn't deserve their awards. It seems to me that there is no commercial motive, other than the obvious that is felt throughout the entire award show, for giving Taylor Swift a Grammy for album of the year. "Fearless" has done a great deal for the music industry and while Lady Gaga pushes herself to the brink of everything expected, Taylor Swift has remained true to herself and has continued to produce great music and to work hard.

If you think Taylor should not have won, it is understandable but I think to say that she lacks talent or to say that she is undeserving, I would argue against that. Again, I apologize for the lack of fluidity in this post, it is a rant and I hope it makes you see why I think TayTay DID deserve the award! (Although so did Gaga!) hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment